Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Weather can be a right pain

Well, i wouldn't have thought it a week ago when i got to spend Monday stuck in London having snow ball fights that the weather would still be messing with my work schedule.

Back then i was happy. I did my crucial bits of work from home and then headed out to enjoy the day and snow with some friends. Well this weather is now becoming a bit of a pain. Yes, the snow has almost gone from the London / Hertfordshire area but, the cold is still pretty constant and now there is flooding. Yesterday i had to turn back from two roads i was trying to drive down due to recently formed rivers. Now, and im sure the weather is to blame for this, i am suffering from power cuts. From Monday afternoon (approx 4.22) to Tuesday evening (approx 9.40 pm) the office had no power. Upon getting into work this morning i thought this problem had gone, but no another power cut strikes at about 1.40 pm. So now i am still without my database and am having to operate from my laptop from another site. This is frustrating and is slowing up my ability to do work. However, my ability is still there, so never fear if you were about to call me.

This brings me to on to another completely separate point. Have we been completely let down by the country's infrastructure and should this be sorted out? Yes and No.

Firstly, our infrastructure is not designed to deal with high levels of snow (or water on that point), like it isn't designed to deal with extreme heat. So when abnormal weather conditions occur we are often struck by traffic / commuter chaos. This is very annoying but, at a time when money is short shouldn't the correct monetary decision be made? To plough millions / billions into a problem which rarely occurs (apparently the last equivalent snow fall was back in 1991) would be a waste of tax payers money. Tax payers money is currently needed to save the economy so i say wait for this period of weather to blow over and get back to normality. I for one, now, look forward to it.

It also makes me very aware that i should looking into remote working options quickly.

No comments: